protein greens enchiladas verdes
enjoy the layers of flavor in this PROTEIN GREENS enchiladas verdes recipe! these enchiladas are baked to perfection and stuffed with our healthy PROTEIN GREENS. traditional mexican spices add the perfect bite, and extra cheese on top adds creamy gooey goodness when this bake comes out of the oven. great for a hearty, warm dinner on a cold night!print share this
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
1 poblano pepper, halved and seeded
1 small onion, quartered
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1½ packed cups organicgirlⓇ protein greens
¼ cup chicken stock
salt and black pepper to taste
3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
½ cup sour cream
5 green onions, finely chopped
1½ teaspoons cumin
eight 7-8” flour tortillas
1 cup shredded monterey jack or queso oaxaca (4 ounces)
1. preheat oven to 400°F. oil a large baking sheet.
2. on prepared baking sheet arrange tomatillos, poblano, onion, and garlic in a single layer. roast until softened and slightly browned, about 30 minutes. transfer to a blender along with greens and stock. blend until completely smooth, then add salt and pepper.
3. while vegetables roast, in a large saucepan place chicken breasts and salt. add water to cover by 1”. bring to a boil, then reduce heat immediately to simmer very slowly, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. remove to a cutting board to cool slightly, then shred with 2 forks.
4. in a medium bowl toss shredded chicken with sour cream, green onions, and cumin.
5. in the bottom of a 13 x 9” baking dish, spread a thin layer of the sauce. lay out tortillas on a countertop and divide chicken mixture between them. roll up tightly and place seam-side down in baking dish.
6. pour remaining sauce over enchiladas, then sprinkle with cheese. bake until the sauce bubbles and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.