chicken & greens tamales
make a greens-filled southwestern treat with this chicken & greens tamales recipe! get the family together to create these traditional tamales. we've added our SUPERGREENS! to these tamales for a healthy green twist. these flavorful bundles are fun to make, fun to eat and are a tasty surprise for any holiday event!print share this
make a greens-filled southwestern treat with this chicken & greens tamales recipe! get the family together to create these traditional tamales. we've added our SUPERGREENS! to these tamales for a healthy green twist. these flavorful bundles are fun to make, fun to eat and are a tasty surprise for any holiday event!
2 packages (10 ounces) organicgirlⓇ SUPERGREENS!
4 ounces dried corn husks
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon chili powder
2¼ teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 cups masa harina
2 teaspoons baking powder
2¼ cups chicken or vegetable broth, heated until steaming
¾ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
1. in a large bowl, cover corn husks with warm water. set aside.
2. use a mallet or heavy skillet to flatten chicken breasts to ½” thickness. rub with chili powder and 1 teaspoon salt. in a large skillet heat olive oil over medium. when hot, add chicken and cook until browned on both sides and internal temperature reaches 165°F. let cool slightly, then shred meat.
3. in same skillet over medium heat, add garlic and sauté 1 minute. stir in greens and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until wilted. set aside.
4. in a medium bowl combine masa, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. stir in broth. in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat shortening until smooth. add masa mixture a spoonful at a time until smooth and fluffy. set aside.
5. place a steamer basket inside a large pot and fill pot with 1-2” water. set aside 16 of the largest husks and line steamer with ⅔ of remaining husks.
6. to make tamales, lay 1 husk on a work surface and spread ¼ cup masa mixture in center, leaving a border. spoon 1 tablespoon greens in center of masa, then top with 2 tablespoons chicken and 1½ tablespoons cheese. fold left and right sides of husk in towards center, then fold bottom pointed part of husk up over filling. tie with kitchen twine. place tamale in steamer, open side up. repeat with remaining husks and filling.
7. cover tamales with remaining husks. cover pot, bring to boil, and reduce heat to medium to steam until husk easily peels away from filling, about 45 minutes. add more water to pot if necessary. remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes before serving. or cool completely and freeze up to 3 months.