green velvet cupcakes
get your green on with our green velvet cupcakes recipe! this delicious, sweet holiday treat is a yummy dessert - with the surprising nutritional boost of spinach! it makes a great homemade gift or serve it as a healthy dessert at your next holiday event!print share this
get your green on with our green velvet cupcakes recipe! this delicious, sweet holiday treat is a yummy dessert - with the surprising nutritional boost of spinach! it makes a great homemade gift or serve it as a healthy dessert at your next holiday event!
for the cupcakes:
2 packed cups organicgirl© SUPER SPINACH!, finely minced in a food processor
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk
for the icing:
8 ounces cold cream cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla
1. preheat oven to 350°F. spray a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with cupcake liners.
2. in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat butter and sugar until fluffy. beat in spinach, then vanilla. beat in eggs 1 at a time until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. beat in milk, then mix in flour mixture until just combined.
4. fill muffin cups ⅔ full and bake until golden, 18-20 minutes. let cool 5 minutes in pan, then cool completely on a rack.
5. in a food processor combine cream cheese, butter, sugar, and vanilla and pulse until smooth and creamy.
6. frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and decorate with sprinkles.